Haroof: An Evening of Saaz-O-Mausiqui
Haroof, a monthly series of curated evenings, a revival of the Baithak tradition, seeks to create a community of discerning music lovers that celebrate saaz-o-mausiqui. Haroof is to Urdu, as Alphabet is to English, the letters of which are strung together to make a verse, which in turn, form a bandish or a ghazal.
The evenings originate from the motivation to make Hindustani classical music a universal, unforgettable experience and to create a blueprint for artists and audiences around the world to appreciate, promote and become one with the magnificence of music. A desire to celebrate tameez and tehzeeb that is reminiscent of the era of the high culture gone by.
The artists who will feature in this series will span genres across Sufi Kalam, ghazal, geet, Bengali and Punjabi folk music.
About the artist
A distinction holder, Sangeet Visharad from Gandharva Mahavidyalaya in Hindustani Classical, Ronkini Gupta spent her formative years vocal training with a renowned exponent of Gwalior Gharana, Shri Chandrakant Apte. Many years of training later with Ustad Dilshad Khan, Pt. Samaresh Chowdhary, and Late Ustad Abdul Rashid Khan Sahab she came into her own style of singing with influences from both Gwalior and Kirana style of singing.
The Black Box
- We request you to bring warm clothes as it gets chilly inside the Black Box as temperatures need to be controlled at optimum levels as per technical requirements
- Food, beverages and water are strictly prohibited inside the Black Box. Please do not carry them in your bags either
- Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis
- Please do come at least 15 minutes prior to the show and enjoy a good cup of coffee at PORT
- No Late Entries will be allowed
- Latecomers can only be allowed in at intermission or at an appropriate pause in the program and as per the instructions of the organizers
G5A is a not-for-profit organization that encourages contemporary art and culture that is experimental and courageous, good governance that is inclusive and participatory, and ecosystems that are equitable and resilient.